What To Expect
The Royal Mews is deemed as one of the finest working stables to have ever existed, and is a significant part of Lord Chamberlain’s Office. The Royal Mews is responsible for providing transportation services by road to the Queen and the Royal Family. The means include both motor car and horse-drawn carriages and the Royal Mews go far beyond just the aesthetic appeal. It is further the training area for Cleveland Bays and Windsor Greys, the two kinds of horses that draw the carriages.
Cast your eyes upon the historic coaches, such as the Australian State Coach that carried The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh to the Buckingham Palace from Westminster Abbey after the grand Royal Wedding of 2011. You will also find the spectacular Irish State Coach, bought by Queen Victoria in the year of 1852.
No one wants to miss out on the dazzling Gold State Coach which was regularly used since the coronation of George IV in 1821. Apart from the historic coaches, don’t forget to check out the new Diamond Jubilee State Coach that took The Queen to the State Opening of Parliament in 2014.
Don’t forget to have a look at the fine livery adorned by The Queen’s coachmen and marvel at its authenticity. They say the livery remains the same as it was back in the Victorian times. Hop on a replica of the Semi-State Landau and try out your regal waving, much like Queen Victoria did back in 1897. If you wish to learn more about the Royal Mews, take the complimentary 45-minute guided tour with one of the wardens.
- Experience The Royal Mews, one of the finest working stables on the planet. Whether itâs the Gold State Coach or the Diamond Jubilee State Coach, youâre sure to be dazzled by their alluring aesthetic.
- Go by the stables and wave at the Windsor Greys and Cleveland Bays, the two kinds of horses that draw the coaches at the Royal Mews.
- Learn about the fine livery that is adorned by The Queenâs coachmen and picture yourself wearing one of the outfits.
- Step into the replica of a royal carriage, the Semi-State Landau, that was used by Queen Victoria.
- Make use of your complimentary multimedia guide to help you navigate through the stables and give you tidbits of history about The Royal Mews and how it came to be.
- Entrance into the Royal Mews
- Multimedia guide in nine languages
Know Before You Go
- All visitors will go through a thorough airport-like security check.
- You are not permitted to take photographs while in the Royal Mews.
- Eating and drinking is strictly prohibited inside the Royal Mews.
Sometimes closure of the Royal Mews can happen on short notice. However, the Mews are completely closed on the 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th November (all Sundays in November).
The timings for the Royal Mews this year are:
– 25th March through 31st October: Opens at 10 AM and closes at 5 PM with the last admission at 4:15 PM.
– 1st November through 30th November: Opens at 10 AM and closes at 4 PM with last admission at 3:15 PM.
Multimedia Tour Timings
Please note that the guided tours take place every day at 10:15 AM, 11 AM, 12 PM, 1 PM, 2 PM, 3 PM and 4 PM, starting at the security area.
Reduced Price Tickets
- Children’s tickets (under the age of 17) can be purchased at a reduced price of £6.8.
- Student’s tickets can be purchased at a reduced rate of £11.
- Senior citizens can purchase this ticket at a reduced rate of £11.
- The nearest Underground Tube Stations are Victoria, Green Park, and St. James. The Royal Mews is a 7-minute walk from these stations.
- The nearest bus stop is Victoria Bus Station (stop C). Buses that go there are C1, C10, 11, and 211. The Royal Mews is a 7-minute walk from this station.
Super Flexible Cancellation Policy
You may cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund. No cancellation will be allowed for partially used vouchers.
This ticket is valid for the date selected at the time of booking.
- Your voucher will be emailed to you shortly.
- Please display the voucher on your mobile phone with a valid photo ID at the entrance of the attraction
- If you have purchased reduced price tickets, please carry your valid photo ID proof for verification. Students must show their valid Student IDs.
- Kindly ensure that you arrive 20 minutes before the start time of your tour to avoid any delays.